FurnityurMolds

FurnityurMolds

Saturday, August 9, 2014

DIY: Faux Druzy Necklace

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial

http://en.dawanda.com/shop/FurnityurMolds

https://www.etsy.com/shop/MoldsCorporation

I first discovered druzy jewelry a few months on Hautelook and ever since then I've noticed them more often. I love the raw organic look of them, but not the price. I have yet to discover a piece that I like that doesn't come with a steep price tag. So I set about faking making my own, and I actually like them. Wanna know how to make them? Then keep reading :)

So, what do you need you say? Well here are the things I used:

Glass - get some bottles at a flea market, pick some up at the beach - we'll be breaking them 
Pendant Tray - you know, the one where you stick cabochons on
Hammer
Mod Podge
Nail Polish - preferably a sheer version of the color you prefer, and a metallic one too
Make-up Sponge
Nail Polish Remover
Q-Tips
Necklace Chain
Protective Wear! 

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial
These are my glass bits - I picked them off the beach the last time my fiance and I were there - I don't think they're sea glass, more like just cheap broken beer bottle bits. But I took them with me still - me, the pack rat who thinks everything can be made into something. And I was right! Hahaha. :)

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial
Anyway, get your hammer and pound away. I suggest you double ziploc-bag it before doing so, or you'll end up injured. Use caution! I will not be held liable for any injuries. LOL.

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial
You'll have something like this. You will want the medium and smaller bits, but not the powder, so sift through that.
DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial
Pour a layer of mod podge on your pendant tray, and pile on the glass bits. You want to get the small pieces on every gap.

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial
It will look like this. Let it dry.

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial
After the first layer dries, you may want to put on a second layer - to do so, coat it again with a layer of mod podge and pile with the smaller glass bits. Again, let it dry. On the photo above, the upper right one and the bottom one have two layers. I think it looks better (in the end) with two layers instead of one. 

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial
Paint with your metallic base. Coat the whole thing with polish.

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial
Now, after the base polish dries, coat with your main color. 

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial




Get your sponge and sponge out the excess main polish color. Actually, it's just all about building color to mimic the natural ones.

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial


Build up your colors until you get your desired effect. On the photo above, I alternated with sheer purples, blues, greens, bronzes, golds and silvers.

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial


After that dries, clean up the sides with some nail polish remover and q-tips. Then add your jump ring and necklace chain and you're done!

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial
Look at that sparkly goodness.
DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial
I made several. I'm still thinking of a way to seal them though - should it be mod podge, diamond glaze or clear nail polish? Anyway, aside from that, I think these turned out pretty well - I'm proud of them. I may even sell them someday - I'm wondering if I should open a shop or something. 
DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial

1 comment: